Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Making do on a cookie or two....

Hello my friends!  Well, I started cleaning out my pantry today and I came across 2 jars of Malted Milk that I wanted to get rid of.  I knew I had a recipe for Malted Milk Chocolate Chip cookies so I immediately started mixing it together.  Big mistake.. I should have looked or at least try to shake the malted milk because when it was time to add it to the batter I opened the container and it was rock hard..  I couldn't even chip any off with a knife.. same thing with the second container.  Well.. pooie... what to do..  I already had the shortening and sugar mixed so I decided to substitute Homemade Hot Cocoa Mix in it's place.  Mixed it in..  go to get the chocolate chips...   NO chocolate chips.  How can I be out of chocolate chips?!  I don't think I've ever been out of chocolate chips.  Ok..  poke around in the pantry some more and viola...   Heath English Toffee Bits and Ande's Creme De Menthe baking bits... Ya know what?  It all works.  Minty with a toffee crunch....  this goof might just be my new go to when I want something a little different in a cookie.  Want some?
Here is the recipe I used if anyone is interested...

1 c. butter flavored shortening
1 1/4 c. light brown sugar, packed
1/2 c. hot cocoa mix (not sugarless)
2 T. Hershey's chocolate syrup
2 t. vanilla extract
1 egg
2 c. flour
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt

1/2 package of both Andes mints and Heath Toffee bits (or to your taste)

With electric mixer, beat together the brown sugar, shortening, hot cocoa mix, chocolate syrup and vanilla until very creamy and smooth. Add the egg and mix again for about 30 seconds on medium. In a separate bowl mix together flour, soda and salt. With mixer on low, slowly add the flour mixture to the creamy mixture until well blended. Give it another 30 seconds of a good beating. Hand-stir in the chips.

With a 2" scoop, place balls of dough on a parchment lined cookie sheet a few inches apart and bake in a 350 degree preheated oven for about 10 minutes, or until very lightly golden. When finished move to a wire rack to cool. These won't last long, I promise.

Enjoy everyone!  I'm off to see what other trouble I can get into today  :)

1 comment:

  1. OH MY:O
    sounds like you have created a masterpiece my friend;) and YES...of course I want some, LOL!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete