Thursday, January 20, 2011

This is turning into a cooking blog..

Well, I haven't done much in the craft department today because my Gammy baby was here with me but I have to share with you these freezer biscuits I made today.  Oh my gosh.. they are soooo good.  I love a good biscuit in the morning with a little jam.. or the afternoon with a little ham.. or the evening with a little .....Spam?  ick.. no, maybe not the Spam (definitely NOT the Spam) but I couldn't think of anything else that rhymes.  Ok.. so I'm not a poet.. lol.  Anyway..  I found this recipe on the blog Real Mom Kitchen to make biscuits that you freeze so anytime you want one you just pop them in the oven.  I froze 18 and baked up the remaining 6.. I ate 2 before they had even cooled.. YUM!  Here they are as I put them in the freezer, after an hour I took them out of the dish and put 2 in snack size baggies and then put all the baggies in a gallon size freezer bag so I can cook as many as I want at any time.
The scaps I rerolled and cooked for my own pleasure.. not very pretty but that doesn't matter...
Here is the recipe...
  • 4 cups flour
  • 2 Tbsp baking powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 1/2 tsp soda
  • 1/2 cup cold butter, cut into small pieces
  • 1 (16 oz) container or 2 cups reduced fat sour cream
  • 3-5 tsp water, if needed
  • melted butter
      1.   In a food processor, add all of the dry ingredients and pulse a few times to get the ingredients mixed together.
2. Add butter to the food processor and pulse until butter is cut into pea sized pieces.  This will take a few minutes but don't overdo the dough.
3. Next, add the sour cream and and pulse until a soft dough is formed.  If the dough is too dry you can add some water.  (I didn’t need any water)
4. Remove dough from the food processor and knead a couple of times on a lightly floured surface.
5.  Roll out to 1 inch in thickness. Use a biscuit cutter or drinking glass to cut out into round biscuit shapes or cut into squares using a pizza cutter.
6. If freezing, place biscuits on a cookie sheet for about 1-2 hours, until solid. After they are frozen, place in a freezer bag to store. Use as needed.
7.  To bake biscuits whether fresh or frozen: Place on an ungreased cookie sheet and brush with melted butter. Bake at 400 for 15-17 minutes or until top is golden. Halfway through the baking process, brush the tops of the biscuits again with melted butter.  Makes 16-20 biscuits.
Now I need to find a good Buttermilk biscuit recipe to freeze.  Don't you just love a well stocked freezer?  I'm working on mine.  I use to be a random shopper.. a little of this.. a lot of that.. then throw it in the freezer and slowly it would sink to the bottom.  Not anymore, I am going through my freezer and making a list of what is in there so I can use it while I still know what it is.. lol.  I found one bag that I called a mystery dinner because I couldn't figure out what it was.. I set it on the counter and let it thaw (then I forgot about it until it was too late) but it was Chicken Cacciatore..  wasted!  Ok.. before I start rambling more I'm gonna get off here and go take a hot bath in my Sweet Pea bath salts..  a little bit of heaven! 

Have a great night all!

Hugs,


2 comments:

  1. Those look awesome, and would be so convenient. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUMMY, I love me a good biscuit;)I'll have to try these! I made the black bean quesidillas the other day that you posted the link for and they were delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete